Quest 3 ($35)
Here is a video telling more about this class: https://youtu.be/IW2_P5jCNG0
This is a year-long class.
This is a thought-provoking study of world views, principles of freedom, self-government, and jurisprudence (a study of the U.S. Supreme Court). We will learn of the many ways people view the world, and we will examine religions and cultures using comparison in 10 disciplines: Theology, Philosophy, Ethics, Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Politics, Economics, Law, and History. Exploration of each world view includes original documents, discussion, response writings, presentations, and creating their own personal manifest.
For learning principles of good government, we will be using The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen. We will understand and memorize the 28 principles in that book. The students will bring in current events and we will analyze whether those principles are being upheld or violated.
We will discuss US Supreme Court and Utah State Supreme Courts rulings. Then, as a final assignment, the scholars will research two landmark Supreme Courts cases and reenact each case before "justices" in a court setting. The class is divided in to two teams, each representing the appellant/petitioner or the respondent. Oral arguments, writing skills, and research are put to this in this final assignment, showing the students that they can work hard, do difficult assignments, and reap the reward for all their effort. This might sound overwhelming, but the transformation of those who put forth the effort and come ready to participate is amazing!
Then, to celebrate, we will spend four days in the beautiful mountains of Montana horseback riding in to a secluded lake, exploring, hiking, fishing, and enjoying the peace found only in nature.
• **Optional summer reading—fantastic stories of America by Louis L’amour: Sackett’s Land, To the Far Blue Mountains, Warrior’s Path, Jubal Sackett
• Wild Swans by Jung Chang **This is also an optional book but the most amazing history of China & Communism!
• A Song for the Stars by Ilima Todd
• The Orphan Keeper by Camron Wright
• My Name Used to be Muhammad by Tito Momen
• The Chosen by Chaim Potok
• Supreme Power by Ted Stewart
• Great Decisions of the Supreme Court by Maureen Harrison and Steve Gilbert
• 5000 Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen
• Leadership and Self Deception by The Arbinger Institute
• Anatomy of Peace by The Arbinger Institute
Taught by: Tracy & Jennifer Watts
Time: 9:30 AM - 11:15 AM